DEPARTMENT AND CENTRE FOR WOMEN’S STUDIES
Mother Teresa Women’s University is a State University of Tamilnadu, which was established in the year 1984 by the enactment of Tamilnadu Act 15. It bears the name Laureate and the global servant and the humanitarian Mother Teresa . Mother Teresa Women’s University aims to extend its service to women students of all communities. The Department and Centre for Women’s Studies works to empower women through various capacity building measures including Feminist theory building, inculcating gender sensitivity on Women’s Studies perspectives, Gender Literacy, Gender Education and Enhancement, Communication and Leadership skill etc., to bring Social, Economic, Political and Cultural Empowerment and Gender Equality. ‘Women’s Studies’ as a discipline of academia, helps to transform other disciplines by integrating feminist perspectives. The various activities of the scholars and activists in the Department and Centre for Women’s Studies paves way to bring out more visible research and policy debates which would be raised by women from dalit, tribal, labouring, sexual and other minority communities including religion. The Centre for Women’s Studies plays a vital role to bring out change in the society understanding more about women and highlighting participation of women in the formulation of policy in establishing a just and secular society in India.
The Department and Centre for Women’s Studies
- Empowering women through Education and Training programmes, tapping their potential, and elevate their life style and social status.
- Strives to create a more equal world by empowering women to understand, recognize and exhibit their multi-dimensional roles.
- Motivate Women to take strenuous efforts to reach out the society to bridge the inequalities that confront women today.
- To incorporate knowledge , relevance importance of Women’s Studies in all the disciplines of the University and affiliated Colleges
- To reach out to rural tribal women in order to enhance their status through skill training and to bring out their potentialities through productive employment services to the Tribal and marginalized Women of particular areas.
- To empower women leading to Self–employment opportunities, train in Entrepreneurial Skills, promoting Socio-economical independence.
- To promote Women in Development (WID) and Women and Development (WAD) realizing their career goals, leadership qualities and to choose proper effective life options.
- To promote research in Women’s Studies and contribute to family, society and nation
To provide access to vital services to the Tribal and marginalized Women of particular areas
ACTIVITITES OF THE CENTRE
- Ph.D. Women’s Studies
- M. Phil. Women’s Studies
- M.A. Women’s Studies
- Diploma in Women’s Studies
- Certificate Course in Law and Gender
- Foundation Course in Gender Studies
- Skill Based Programme on EDP for all Final PG student of Arts & Sciences as Non Subject Elective.
- Interactive Sessions
- PPT Presentations
- Field study
- Role plays
- Survey Mapping
Major Thrust Areas
- Field Action
- Seminars / Workshops/Symposia
- Clustering and Mentoring
- Gender Sensitization Programmes
- Awareness Programmes
- Skill Development Programmes
- Formation of women Self Help Group
- Family Counseling
- Environment Conservation
- Health and Hygiene
- Women’s Rights and Legal Rights
- Government Programmes for Women
- Voters Awareness Campaign
- Teachers Day Celebration
- Pongal Celebration
- Republic day Celebration
- Women’s Day Celebration
- Entrepreneurship Development Programme
- Skill Training Programme
- Vocational Training programmes for Rural women
- Training on Business Plan and Banking practices
- Faculty Development Programme
- Vocational Training Programme on “Beautician Course”
- Vocational training on “Mushroom Cultivation”
- Residential Vocational Training Programme On” Mushroom Cultivation, Vermi Composting, Vegetable And Fruit Processing And Bee Keeping
- Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp For Women
- 25 days EDI Training Programme on Manufacturing of sanitary napkins
- Leadership Training For Women Officials among women leaders
- Gender Sensitisation Programme for Tribal women
- Health Awareness Programme For Adolescent Girls
- Awareness Programme on Cervical Cancer among Women Workers
- Awareness Programme on Vaccination for Adolescent girls
- Awareness Programme on heath, Nutrition and Immunity level of Women
- Field Research on Vaccination for Girls by puberty
- Field Research on Immunity level of Women at different levels
- Field Research on Cervical Cancer and other preventive measures for women health hazards
- Desertion of Women in Tribal Community of Kodaikanal
- Dimensions in Socio Economic analysis of Gender Disability
- Rally for Violence Against Women through the programme “One Billion Rising”
Conferences / Workshops / Seminars
- Two day National Seminar on “Empowerment of Women through Political Rights”.
- International Conference on “Social Exclusion and Inclusion of Women” in Collabration with Alagappa University, Karaikudi.
- National Workshop on “Designing World Class Curriculum For Gender Studies”.
- A two day National Conference on “Child Abuse : Causes, Consequences and Preventive Measures” in collaboration with C.S.I. College of Education, Madurai.
- One day National Seminar on “Women Empowerment” in Collaboration with CED, Madurai and Gnanamani College of Engineering, Namakkal.
- National Seminar on “Legal Rights And Prevention Of Violence Against Women And Children”- in Collabration with St.Joseph’s High School,Perumalmalai.
- National Seminar on ‘Health Problems Of Women Workers And Guidance For Preventive Measures’ in Collabration with Maagrita Exports Limited, Sipcot Industrial Complex, Pallapatty.
- A two day National Conference on ’Child Abuse: Gender disparity in protection of girl Children” in collaboration with Dhan Foundation, Madurai.
- National workshop on “Disease Prevention and Health Promotion of Women and Adolescent girls”.
- National workshop on “Managerial Skills and Leadership Styles of women Entrepreneurs in the present Scenario”.
TEACHING STAFF DETAILS
English Literature, Feminism, Feminist Theories, ELT & Communicative English
Postal Address : Mother Teresa Women's University Research and Extension Centre
Department & Centre for Women's Studies
Plot No: B3, SIPCOT- Nilakottai Industrial complex,
Madurai to Dindigul -NH -7, Nilakottai Taluk, Pallapatty, Dindigul District
Dept. Mail : email@example.com